Sunday, April 27, 2008

Music association

A post from a message board inspired this post. For me, there are literally hundreds of songs or music in general that take me back to certain times in my life, or special moments, or just remind me of good movies.

I have many many many attachments to music and songs, but here are just a few....

Whenever I hear "My Best Friend" by Tim McGraw I am reminded of an old boyfriend who totally broke my heart. And it makes me mad that this song is ruined for me, because I think of my husband as My Best Friend. :(

Whenever I hear "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper I am reminded of the little house in Crestview and it takes me back to my very early childhood.

Whenever I hear "Lost in This Moment" by Big & Rich I am reminded of my first dance with my husband at our wedding. :)

Whenever I hear ANY song from one of my favorite movie's soundtracks I immediately know which movie it was and wanna go put it on my dvd player and watch it right then.

Whenever I hear "World's Greatest" by R Kelly I am reminded of my dear friend Troy who sings this song so beautifully I request it every time we go out to sing karaoke. :)

Whenever I hear Dvorak's New World Symphony or Bach's Brandenburg Concertos or Handel's Messiah I am reminded of Symphonic Orchestra in high school. Many good times were had there (in orchestra) and I made many good friendships, some that have lasted the test of the last decade.

And the really sad one is this....

Whenever I hear "Angel" by Sarah MacLachlan I am reminded of the most horrible week of my life when my paternal grandfather died of a heart attack and two days later my maternal grandmother died of cancer. I spent literally hours and hours and hours listening to this song over and over again and just sobbing and sobbing. It was like therapy for me when no one else in the world seemed to know how I was feeling at that time.

And so maybe now you can see why music is so important to me, to my life.

No comments: